For those of us in hibernal denial, however, there’s another outlet: find plants that actually bloom in winter.
Some of these misfits are well known: the Christmas rose (which rarely blooms at Christmas, and in any case is not a rose, but a hellebore, Helleborus niger) and the Lenten rose (Helleborus orientalis) are planted to provide winter bloom.
The bear-claw hellebore, Helleborus foetidus, often displays its
lime-green, maroon-edged blooms for us here in Zone 6 as early as
February.
Snowdrops, early narcissi, and crocus are usually up and in bloom well before the official end of winter.
I employ all these hardy performers, but I also grow a few larger, more spectacular winter bloomers that may not be as well known. Read more...
Some of these misfits are well known: the Christmas rose (which rarely blooms at Christmas, and in any case is not a rose, but a hellebore, Helleborus niger) and the Lenten rose (Helleborus orientalis) are planted to provide winter bloom.
Snowdrops, early narcissi, and crocus are usually up and in bloom well before the official end of winter.
I employ all these hardy performers, but I also grow a few larger, more spectacular winter bloomers that may not be as well known. Read more...

Комментариев нет:
Write коммент.